|Overcoming Human Poverty
Essays on the Millennium Development Goals
By: Selim Jahan
The MDGs represent a global compact, a set of long-term development goals for countries, a framework for monitoring, assessment and accountability and a worldwide movement. Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) are a set of time bound quantitative goals to reduce basic human deprivations.
Today, with less than five years to go, the development discourse has also focused on the issue of the post-2015 scenario. The conversation has begun and it is imperative that we bring the Voices of the South to the dialogue.
The author tried to focus on the analytics of the Goals from a broader perspective, to highlight the success stories and what have worked, how to accelerate the MDG progress using a MDG Acceleration Framework (MAF) – by presenting an analytical framework as well as country case studies, how to sustain MDG progress, going beyond acceleration, particularly in times of shocks and vulnerabilities and how the frame the post-2015 development agenda.
The basic thrust of the present volume is to have a better understanding of the issues related to the MDGs, to generate a development discourse and policy dialogue, and to induce debate on the post-2015 development agenda. students of development economics, academics and researchers, development practitioners from various spectra would find this volume useful.
Snapshot of the Table of Contents:
1. Human Dignity and the Millennium Development Goals: Analytical Linkages
2. Democratic Governance for the Millennium Development Goals: An Analytical Framework
3. Capacity Development for the Millennium Development Goals: Analytical Linkages and Policy Options
4. Accelerating the MDG Achievements: Identifying Solutions to Constraints
5. Accelerating the MDG Progress - Four Country Case Studies: Colombia, Lao PDR, Togo and Uganda
6. Accelerating the MDG Progress: Success Stories and the Factors Behind
7. Sustaining the MDG Progress - Notions and Issues
8. Sustaining the MDG Progress During Economic Shocks
9. Development Dialogues Beyond 2015 - Rationale and Issues for Setting a Set of Global Development Goals
10. Post-2015 Development Agenda: Proposal for a Comprehensive Framework